Monday, August 11, 2008

Toto, We're NOT in Kansas Anymore

Life is moving at a furious clip these days...almost as though summer is winding down and we are determined not to let a moment go by that isn't completely relished. :) We now know what follows summer here in Chicago, and we've learned the hard way that time outdoors is precious and to waste it is borderline criminal.

All that to say I've been MIA with posts lately, but for good reason. We are out there creating lots of good subjects and I'm filing them away to keep a good cadence coming your way in the next few days, weeks and months...so definitley stay tuned and set your feeds to visit us often. :)

First up, not sure if you heard, but Chicago was hit by crazy, wicked storms last Monday (exactly one week ago). Now it is not evening news that the Midwest has wacky weather...and it isn't even ALL that rare to have evening TV viewing interrupted by those annoying comcast alerts that tell you neighboring suburbs and places in Indiana are in for yet another thrashing by Mother Nature.

THIS alert, however, was different. First of all, there were about five of them, in rapid succession. The last one loudly screamed (and I'm sure by imagination and fear made said "scream" the loudest ever) THIS ALERT INCLUDES THE CITY OF CHICAGO - PLEASE TAKE SHELTER NOW. Then it proceeded to run through the tornado's "course," quickly naming a variety of Chicago neighborhoods (ours included) and giving an estimated time that we should expect this most unwelcome visitor. BJ was cooking on the grill outside (NOT kidding - he isn't really phased by these storms) and I began frantically glancing from the screen to my watch (it was 8:02 pm and the alert voice from the TV said we should expect the storm at 8:14 pm). Next, the city sounded the official warning alarms to make you take immediate cover (or in my case, nearly collapse from a heart attack). Then I did what any sane girl who has been living in CA for the last 6+ years would do. I grabbed blankets and pillows and my 2 fur babies, sprinted through the kitchen to our first bathroom, ruled it out IMMEDIATELY due to the fully glass enclosed shower and then ran to our second bathroom. I decided this was the spot. I screamed for BJ to join us - he said "are you serious?" I said, "do you not understand that we are having a TORNADO?? GET IN THE $%&#! tub!!!!" He obediently turned off the grill, closed all doors and came into the bathroom. There he found his (sort of frantic) wife huddled with both dogs in the bathtub on top of a duvet cover and a couple of pillows (hey, we didn't know how long we'd be in there, and I wanted to be comfortable).

**Side note - I actually did think at this point about having Hubby run and grab the camera for a couple of pics - would have totally added to the quality of this post- but I thought better of it and went back to my repeated litany of GET IN HERE WITH US NOW PLEASE.

Picture it - one (small-ish) tub, one 6'3" hubby, myself and 2 dogs huddled together listening to the crazy sounds of wind dragging deck furniture around, flinging flower pots wherever it chose (my poor flowers), and just otherwise terrorizing poor me. BJ was just on his computer - ya know, tracking the storm and catching up on sports news. After about 30 minutes (not kidding), BJ's laptop informed us that the warning had been lifted. The funnel clouds had been spotted above the city, but had never touched down. We filed out of the tub and proceeded to watch the news and eat dinner. Some folks were without power for days - luckily we were not among them - and there were pretty spectacular storm reports, video and photos circulating. I am happy to report that other than a spontaneous re-arranging of our deck and patio furniture, and my poor flowers being pummeled within an inch of their life, Casa Carretta made it through that crazy night just fine.

Apparently we are in store for a very active storm season. Does anyone have any DIY tips to build a basement?? Until then, if you hear about major storms in the Chicago area, you know where to find me.

Happy (stormy) summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment