Friday, September 19, 2008

Those They Left Behind

Like many people, I have been carefully following the aftermath of Ike's destruction - admittedly through a different lense. The people who have lost their homes, their lives, their sense of hope are certainly in my thoughts and prayers, but my immediate thoughts in these situations usually go right for the animals.

They have no voice. They have no means by which to escape. They are 100% dependent on humans to make the choice to save their lives and include them in evacuation efforts...or not. Too many are left behind to suffer a cruel fate that must be so lonely and terrifying that tears fill my eyes even as I type this.

I do not understand what could EVER lead someone to leave their pets behind as they scramble to avoid the direct fury of Mother Nature. I'm not judging so much as just utterly confused and broken hearted. I believe that when you commit to an animal, it is a family member, period. You do not leave them behind, repaying their incomparable loyalty by forcing them to face the most unbending odds. Alone. Scared. Hungry. And all too often, they do not make it.

I have been riveted by my favorite animal organizations - all of whom I regularly contribute to. IFAW, Best Friends, HSUS...these fine people leave their homes, their families and safety behind to answer the call when our furry friends need them the most. Today, I am most grateful. I honor each and every rescue worker; they are true heroes. Take a look at a beautiful example of their love.

No comments:

Post a Comment