Saturday, October 18, 2008

Making my lists, Checking them twice

I love lists. I make lists of the lists I need to make. I get an obnoxious amount of fulfillment and accomplishment from crossing items OFF my many lists.

I have decided tonight to make two important lists - evolving ones really - to challenge myself to move beyond the normal and the comfortable once in awhile. And also to set and track future goals - more on this later as I got the best idea from my sister-in-law over lunch this week (seriously, love her idea) - because to write it down is to make it real. And seeing it in print encourages commitment to follow.

Without further ado - I live in a great city that I really haven't made much of an effort to discover in the almost 2 years I've been here, so I'm starting my list thusly:
  1. Go see the ballet.
  2. See Dirty Dancing the MUSICAL (and part 2 of this is to find someone to see it with me since I'm not sure it is Hubby's cup of tea)
  3. Check out a museum. We have so many, the opportunities are endless.
  4. Check out the smart home that is part of one of said museums. Love this concept and want to see the final result of so much effort.
  5. See a concert and have a picnic at Ravinia (might have to wait for next season on this one - no bother, its going ON the list).
  6. Discover great hiking trails in the Chicago area. Reunite with hiking on said trails. I love hiking and you can STILL hike in the fall. Even in the tundra that is Chicago. ON the list.
  7. Find an indoor dog park that we can frequent during the colder months. Running around with the munchkins is one my greatest joys - and snow doesn't have to eliminate it.
  8. Dedicate one weekend night as "date night" with Hubby - try new restaurants in various sections of the city until we've really gotten to know all the options available to us.
  9. Sign up for one class with Hubby (and maybe another couple) at The Chopping Block!
  10. Go to Michigan or Wisconsin for a long weekend. I've heard amazing things. I'd love to go apple picking...or hiking...or wait for a summer lake adventure. Or all of the above.
  11. Go ice skating in Millenium Park (or anywhere else for that matter).
  12. Wine tasting - don't care if its Napa or a local spot (although Napa would be great one of these days).

And now for list 2 - to focus a little more on goals. Behold:

  1. Learn at least the basics of photography and get a good camera to work with. I've always wanted to do this - since high school! I have no idea why I keep putting it off.
  2. Really learn yoga and practice it regularly. I love what it does for my mind as much as what it can do for my muscles.
  3. Make physical fitness a life priority and be CONSISTENT with it. I'm tired of hearing myself whine about this one. Time to mix up a bunch of my favorite activites, create a schedule and start sweating.
  4. Pay more attention to my philanthropic side and dedicate time to it. As my place of work says, Live in COLOR.
  5. Learn at least the basics in the kitchen. I feel like a bumbling fool right now, but I need to throw caution to the wind and just get in there!
  6. Try something new every season (thinking maybe tennis lessons with Hubby for the winter).
  7. Try - seriously try - to focus my energy on positive thinking. Limit road rage, nagging, frustration, etc by slowing down and breathing before responding. Hopefully this will inspire calm and patience - not all the time, just more often.
  8. Start a family. And be good at creating balance.
  9. Be fiscally aware. Perfect the art of discretionary spending and define and stick to savings plans. Basically, take charge of my own personal economy (and that of my family).
  10. Rescue a dog. And give him/her the best life possible.
  11. Travel. I'm one of the only people I know that hasn't seen Europe yet. I mean really - there is a great big world out there. And I want to see it.

I think this is a good start, don't you? I will track my progress via the blog and will let you know when I'm adding entries...I find this especially appropriate as I wind up my 20's and head straight toward 30.

Bring it on.

No comments:

Post a Comment