Friday, May 8, 2009

With MOMS Like These...

She was so young when I entered her life - barely more than a baby herself (by today's standards anyway). You'd never know it though - she has devoted every minute, every thought, every heartbeat to us since the day we first drew breath. 

When I was a kid, she'd sit with me until my homework was just right, talk to me until every problem ceased existence, gave me every opportunity even though she didn't have many herself in those days. My Halloween costumes were the most creative, my outfits for the plays and school themes the most thought out and envied, my school lunches so perfect with a handwritten note on my napkin. 

When I was in middle school she went the extra mile to ensure our move didn't disrupt my advancement into womanhood, made sure I knew that popular didn't elude me, that I could and would belong anywhere I chose. She convinced a neighbor to drive miles through a blizzard that paralyzed our state for weeks so we could get to the post office where I would find out if I'd made cheerleader.

In high school, she traveled to every away game, no matter the distance and often alone (and was front and center for home games too). She wore a button with my picture with 10 times the pride of the star quarterback's Mom. She befriended my friends, advised every decision, oversaw every milestone, comforted every sorrow and fulfilled every need. She was front and center at every performance, every award ceremony and she was genuinely happy about this, bursting with pride. Never bored, never pulled in a million directions, always focused on me. Looking back from this side of adulthood, I have no clue how she did that. None whatsoever.

When I applied to colleges, she championed one road trip after another and walked tirelessly through campuses helping me to imagine my life there, determine if it was the right fit. When it was time to start a new life, she helped me pack all I would need (and then some) and drove the distance with me. Helped hang every picture in my dorm room, arranged every book, spared no detail. And when it was time for her to leave, and I stumbled with tear-filled eyes, unsure of the future, she was steadfast. She hugged me and it was an embrace I'll remember always and she whispered "fly high my beauty, you were born for this and the world has seen nothing of what you can do."

She filled my mailbox with cards and letters and my dorm room with flowers and care packages every single year. She visited and she called and she listened and she supported. As each year ended, she was there to help me move on to the next adventure. When I spent a summer surrounded by snakes and nature and stumbled yet again, not sure of my decision, she gave me her ear, her encouragement, and if I truly needed it, an exit strategy.

When college was done, she was again there to celebrate the milestone - there were thousands in the crowd on that graduation day, but I sensed her presence even before I saw her - beaming that smile I've known my entire life, shouting my name louder than any other. 

And when I decided to move West, so far from all that I knew and all that I'd been, she supported me. I know now how hard that must have been for her. But she never wavered, not once. She helped me pack the car and she got into the passenger seat and she chronicled every minute of the cross country adventure in a journal that she later gave me as a gift.

The phone calls continued (daily) and the advice never stopped flowing freely. I've recently entered my 3rd decade and she was there to usher it in, and she is there to listen to every problem, still tries to fix all that breaks. 

I can glimpse motherhood myself these days, and when I do, I see her there. Supportive as ever, excited always, welcoming a new generation.

I know now what I could not have known then. That her entire adult life has been a sacrifice for me (and my brother). That she has given her all so that we would never know loneliness, never lack encouragement, grow up sure of ourselves and our purpose. I am so happy in my life today and I know that so much of that is due to her. I stand on the shoulders of my own personal giant. And I can see as far and as wide as her love has carried me (and carries me still).

Happy Mother's Day Mom... my mentor, my teacher, my light, my friend.



And because I'm the luckiest gal around, I'll shift focus to my other favorite woman on this very special day. She has welcomed me and loved me and laughed with me for years and I look forward to many more to come. And also? She brought Hubby into this world and let's just face it...he's one fine man (in every sense of the word). For that? I'll be eternally and enthusiastically grateful.

Happy Mother's Day Maureen - you're the world's greatest prize in the Mother-in-law (MIL) lottery.


No comments:

Post a Comment