Thursday, November 13, 2008

Love is All Around

I came across this reprint of a text message the other day and it struck a chord:
Rosa Parks sat so Martin could walk,
Martin walked so Obama could run,
Obama ran so my children could fly

Lest you think this is another political related post, rest assured that it is not. Sure, I could talk about this through a historical or political framework, but that isn't how it struck me and so it won't be the focus of this post.

It struck me because it is so true of us all and we can apply its meaning to all of our collective stories and experiences. We are truly so connected, even when we don't realize it or choose to ignore it.

We stand on the shoulders of great and wonderful giants and our paths and our experiences and our journeys are easier simply because theirs existed.

I think there is beautiful symmetry in that and I'm grateful when I think of the love and sacrifices others endured so that my story would be different. So that it would be better.

I'm thinking of all of them today; my Mom, Dad, Grandmothers & Grandfathers, Great-Grandparents, aunts, friends, mentors, bosses, and the millions of others whose experiences have shaped mine and marked my place in time.

To them I say: thank you for sitting so that I may walk. Thank you for walking so that I may run. And thank you for running; you'll be happy to know there are certainly days when I feel like I can fly.

I'm happy to continue the cycle and (hopefully) make it easier for those who follow me to fly.

Happy Love Thursday all - may you appreciate the love before you, embrace the love around you, and leave nothing but love behind you.

No comments:

Post a Comment