Tuesday, November 18, 2008

A Love Like No Other

I came across this moving tribute today perusing one of my favorite blogs and it moved me no end (as I'm sure you can imagine based on my propensity to OBSESS over animals. ALL animals, but dogs in particular).

I love Cisco's story and the beautiful way he blended with this family and the special relationship he shared with each of its members.

This is so true of dogs. There is simply no better love. Joy takes on new meaning when those little faces greet you with sheer excitement day after day, time after time. Waiting loyally for you to come home. They want nothing more. No agenda. No ulterior motive...just your love and your time and the occasional belly scratch and yummy treat.

I cannot fathom that final goodbye, although I know I'd make the same choice and I'd be there. In the room. Holding that beloved paw one last time. I applaud this family for recognizing that they owed that moment to Cisco. To repay in a small way the millions of moments he gave them over his lifetime.

He was a lucky dog. A loved dog. And he'll leave this world looking at the faces he loved most in it. I wish ALL dogs had a story like this one.

Tonight, I'll snuggle my guys extra close and give them 2 cookies instead of 1 before dinner. And in our own way, from afar, we'll honor Cisco and send good thoughts and many woofs to keep him company on his journey over the rainbow bridge. RIP sweet furry friend!

No comments:

Post a Comment